This product has proven to be the world's first commercially available prepaid water metering system, approved by the STS Association. This prepaid water metering system is not proprietary token or card-based, but is an open architecture system complying with IEC standards (IEC 62055-41 and 62055-51) used in over 90 countries worldwide. The system consists of three main components, an electronic module, latching valve and polymer water meter with pulse output.
The innovative prepayment system works with the consumer initially purchasing water credit. Then by use of a secure encrypted token, water can be dispensed from the prepayment system in various quantities as controlled by the customer. A multi-tier step tariff system monitors the monthly consumption of the consumer and charges him using the appropriate tariff. A monthly consumption profile is generated, which in turn is loaded back onto the secure encrypted token. This profile is also uploaded to the management system the next time the consumer purchases credit, aiding consumer water management.
An LCD display on the meter box also provides the consumer with additional useful information such as credit remaining, amount of water dispensed, tariff level and rate, plus alarms such as low battery.
Free Basic Water
A number of countries have a policy of providing a minimum service to consumers, which is known as free basic water. This product supplier is able to offer a system that addresses this policy through the limitation of water on a daily or monthly basis. The Water Management Device (WMD) can be programmed to meet the water service provider's policy, usually in the form of a daily or monthly allocation. Once that allocation of water is used, the valve will close and only open again at the specied time the following day or month. An option does exist for more than one allocation per day.
Automated Meter Reader or Reading (AMR)
Using a Mobile Data Collector (MDC) by either walk-by or drive-by, data is collected from the WMD units and captured and downloaded to a local Field Service Terminal (FST) or laptop. The data can either be viewed in Excel format on the FST to check for valve status, tamper status, leak detection, monthly and current readings; or by using a data collector through Global Systems for mobile communication (GSM) and then to a remote server.
AMR GSM network
Data is collected by an MDC through a drive-by, walk-by or by a Fixed Data Collector (FDC). The data goes from the WMD to the data collector and then by GSM to a remote server.
These pre-paid products can be used in conjunction with a variety of meters and housings to suit specic market requirements. The application caters for a wide range of smart water metering options to suit, not only the requirements of water service providers, but also the consumers.
All design and manufacturing are undertaken in accordance with our ISO 9001:2008 certication, where the focus is on producing high quality products.
Water Management Device (WMD)
The water management device (WMD), is the original remote communicating electronic water control valve and Standard Transfer Specification (STS) Association approved prepayment water management device.
When linked to a pulse output water meter, the WMD enables two-way communication, configuration and valve control as well as the option for STS-approved prepaid water supply. This cost effective, smart meter is then able to provide:
- Free basic water
- STS prepaid water metering
- Automated Meter Reading (AMR)
- Emergency and lifeline water
- Leak and tamper detection
The WMD can be configured to:
- Dispense between 10 – 50 000 litres of water, at two scheduled times daily, thereby providing the ability to limit a consumer to a finite (or negotiated) level of supply. This is especially useful n the case of low income consumers who may never be able to afford to pay for water, but nonetheless have the right to be provided with at least a basic level of service
- Be linked to a fixed (flat rate) tariff to provide consumers with the option to voluntarily limit consumption according to their budget. As with the free basic water allocation, this facilitates budgeting not only by the individual consumer, but by social service agencies, government departments, and NGOs
- Provide meter readings by radio signal or the global system for mobile communications (GSM) to a drive-by or walk-by collector, or through a fixed network
- Operate at reduced daily or monthly quantity; this is very useful in managing problematic customers
Benefits to the service provider:
- Low cost of acquisition
- Prevents wastage and loss of treated potable water
- Capital recovery possible within months by curbing water wastage
- Battery life: approximately 10 years dependant on use
- Mounting can be vertical or horizontal
- Above or below ground installation
- IP68 waterproof rating
- Radio Frequency 433 MHz
- Operating range at ambient temperatures from -10℃ to 60℃
- Accurate water balancing across a zone using synchronised meter readings In-field programming, testing, and interrogation
- Radio link receiver can be fixed, vehicle mounted or carried by personnel
- No proprietary billing system required – current billing systems can be used as data collected from the meter by means of the mobile data collector (MDC) can be seamlessly integrated into most existing utility and municipal billing systems
Benefits to the customer:
- Consumers can budget their daily or monthly consumption through prepayment and/or a capped daily and/or monthly allowance
- Consumers cannot over use or over spend their budget if they are on flow-limitation or prepaid options
- Daily or monthly carry-over where service providers allow it
- Accumulation of unused daily allowance, which encourages responsible water usage
User Interface Unit (UIU):
The UIU is a remote display unit mounted inside the home which interacts with the WMD, Bulk WMD and Aquadata, which are generally installed in a meter box outside a consumer's home. This unit has a lifespan of up to 10-years and is very user friendly. It is a lightweight, wall-mounted device with an easy-to-read digital display, a touch keypad and has the following functionality:
- Remotely display the meter reading as reflected by the WMD
- Display remaining allocation available to the consumer
- Allow for top-up / credit entry for pre-payment applications
- Provide various alarms for the consumer, such as leak indication and low credit
- Display the WMD serial number required for top-up
- Indicate battery life
- Indicate valve status
- Access to emergency water via the WMD